Cheese sticks is a typical appetizer or snack typically served with a dip. For preparing the sticks, a medium-hard cheese variety is a good choice to use. Mozzarella sticks are the most popular fried cheese sticks. Though the cheese melts inside while frying, the breading keeps the shape. This fried treat is crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside.
This recipe takes about 5 minutes to make. The breaded cheese sticks need to be refrigerated for an hour before frying. Serves 4.
• 500 grams of medium-hard cheese like Emmental, mozzarella or gouda
• 3 eggs
• Panko breadcrumbs
• enough oil for deep frying
Cut the cheese block into 2-cm thick sticks.
In a bowl, add a pinch of salt to an egg and beat lightly.
Dip the cheese sticks in egg then coat well with breadcrumbs. Repeat this procedure.
Once all the cheese sticks have been coated, keep them in the fridge for an hour.
Heat the oil to a smoking point and deep fry the cheese sticks for about a minute.
Remove from the oil and place them on a plate lined with paper towel to drain excess oil.
Ideas And Tips:
• Refrigerating or freezing the breaded sticks will prevent the cheese from melting too quickly and oozing out of the breading while frying, whereas if you fry the sticks right after breading them, you may not get a crunchy crust.
• You may season the breadcrumbs for extra flavor. You may use chopped fresh or dried herbs or your favorite spices. You may also substitute the breadcrumbs with crushed cornflakes or tortilla chips.
• You may cut your cheese into cubes to make them into cheese bites.
• You may also bake your cheese sticks. Place the breaded sticks on a lined cookie sheet. Spray all sides of the cheese sticks with cooking spray. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 425°F for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
• If you want an extra layer of coating, you may coat your cheese sticks with flour before dipping in egg.
images – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRE8z69s-fo