Carrot cakes are made from a cake batter that contains fresh carrots. It is believed that carrot cakes originated from the Medieval carrot puddings eaten by Europeans. In some countries, carrot cakes are popularly used for towering wedding cakes – because as carrots cakes are dense, they can stand up to the height and heavy frosting.
This carrot cake recipe is gluten-free. Unlike most gluten-free cakes which are dry and gummy, this carrot cake is moist and fluffy. The secret is adding brown sugar to the cake batter. The light and fluffy cream cheese frosting makes this carrot cake more delicious. What’s even greater is that this cake is ready in less than an hour.
• 2 ½ cups of finely shredded baby carrots
• ½ cup of pureed baby carrots
• 1 cup of vegetable oil
• 1 cup of white sugar
• ½ cup of brown sugar, packed
• 3 eggs
• 2 cups of gluten-free flour
• 1 tbsp cinnamon
• 1½ tsp gluten-free baking powder
• ½ tsp salt
• 1 tsp gluten-free baking soda
• ½ cup of buttermilk
• 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
• ½ cup of finely shredded coconut
• 1 cup of chopped walnuts
Cream Cheese Frosting:
• 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
• 4 tbsp butter, at room temperature
• 2 cup of confectioners sugar
• 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
This recipe takes about 45 to 50 minutes to make. Serves 8.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Put vegetable oil, white sugar, and brown sugar in a large bowl.
Using a spatula, mix the ingredients until you get an applesauce-like consistency.
Add eggs and beat using a hand mixer until smooth.
In a separate bowl, mix together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
Add half of the flour mixture to the batter and mix.
Add buttermilk and mix.
Add in the rest of the flour mixture and mix well.
Add carrots, coconut, and vanilla extract, then mix well.
generously grease and flour 2 8-inch round cake pans.
Pour cake batter into the pans.
Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
Chill the cakes in the freezer while you prepare the frosting.
Put cream cheese and butter in a large bowl.
Using a hand mixer, whip until smooth.
Add confectioners sugar and vanilla extract, then whip until smooth.
Place a cake round on a platter, then spread cream cheese frosting on top.
Top with the other cake round then spread frosting on the top and sides of the cake.
Sprinkle chopped walnuts on top.
Slice and serve.
Ideas And Tips:
• Aside from walnuts, you can use almonds, cashew nuts or pecans.
• You can puree the carrots and coconut in a food processor or blender if you do not want the texture of carrot shreds in your cake.
• You may substitute coconut with pineapple.
images – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK64TtrEQXo