Rice is the most widely consumed staple food for a large part of the world’s human population. India is one of the world’s largest producers of rice, thus it is a very important part of their economy. There are 40,000 varieties of rice worldwide and countless ways to cook them. Rice can be made into a porridge, risotto, dessert or even coffee and tea.
Basmati rice is used for our spiced zucchini rice recipe. This dish is very simple to prepare and a perfect side dish to any of your favorite viands.
This recipe takes about 20 minutes to make. Serves 2 to 3.
• 1 cup of Basmati rice, washed and soaked in 2 cups of water
• 1 cup of zucchini, shredded
• 1 tbsp oil
• 1 tsp butter
• 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
• 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
• 4 dried red peppers
• 2 bay leaves
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 stick of cinnamon
• 1 tsp lemon juice
Heat the oil and butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, dried peppers, bay leaf, and cinnamon stick to the oil. Cook for half a minute.
Add the zucchini and stir-fry for a bit.
Add rice with the water you soaked it with.
Add salt and lemon juice and stir well.
Cover the pan and let it boil for 15 minutes.
Spoon rice on a plate and garnish with torn cilantro leaves.
Ideas And Tips:
• You may replace zucchini with 1 1/2 cups of finely chopped spinach. You may also add other vegetables such as chopped carrots, frozen sweet peas, or corn kernels.
• You may also top this with grated cheese and broil until the cheese melts.
• Quickly frying the spices and aromatics in oil releases their flavors and aroma.
images – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqJsUibxTIk