Quinoa has gained a lot of popularity in recent years. It is cultivated as a grain crop primarily for its edible seeds, which can be prepared like whole grains such as rice or barley. Quinoa originated in the Andean region of Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Colombia, and Chile. It is a complete protein and a fantastic wheat-free alternative to starchy grains.
This recipe uses red quinoa, which is the better choice for salads for its firm and not-too-sticky texture. It is mixed with broiled spiced vegetables and toasted nuts. It is then tossed in a blend of seasonings and red wine vinegar. You can serve this salad hot or cold.
This recipe takes about 25 minutes to make. The quinoa needs to soak in water for 15 minutes. Serves 6.
• ¾ cup quinoa (red or white)
• 1 ¼ cup of water
• ½ tsp salt
• 4 scallions
• 1 zucchini, diced
• corn kernels from 1 ear of corn
• 1 tbsp oil
• ¼ tsp salt
• ½ tsp chili powder
• ½ tsp coriander
• ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
• 4 tsp red wine vinegar
• 1 cloves garlic, minced
• ½ tsp crushed dried oregano
• ¼ tsp crushed black pepper
• ¼ cup of cilantro, chopped
• ¼ cup of toasted pecans
• 4 radishes, thinly sliced
• 1 fresh jalapeno, thinly sliced
Put quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and immerse in a bowl of water. This needs to soak for 15 minutes.
To cook the quinoa, place drained quinoa into a pot with ½ tsp salt and 1 ¼ cups of water. Cover the pot with a lid and bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
Turn off heat.
While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the vegetables.
In a large bowl toss together diced zucchini, corn kernels, oil, ¼ tsp salt, chili powder, coriander, and cayenne pepper.
Spread vegetables on a baking sheet and place scallions on 1 side.
Broil in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and slice scallions once it’s cool enough to handle.
To assemble the salad, place the broiled vegetables and cooked quinoa in a large salad bowl.
Add red wine vinegar, garlic, oregano, and pepper the, stir gently to combine.
Add cilantro, pecans, radish, and jalapeno just before serving.
Ideas And Tips:
• You can also use rice, couscous, lentils, bulgur, amaranth, freekeh, kamut, teff, or farro as a substitute for quinoa.
• You may add other grilled vegetables to the salad like bell peppers, eggplants, mushrooms, and onions.
• You may also add canned tuna, cooked meat or seafood to pack more protein into your salad.
• You can substitute red wine vinegar with balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
images – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xSU1YAwXOw