If you are craving for pizza but just don’t want to eat or share an entire pie, pizza rolls are just of the perfect size to satisfy that craving. You may find pizza rolls in the frozen section of your local market. These are processed frozen rolls that you cook in the microwave, oven or toaster oven.
Today’s recipe is the healthier version of pizza rolls. An easy homemade pizza dough filled with all-vegan ingredients like tomato sauce, vegan sausage, vegan pepperoni, cheese, onion, and basil. These rolls are just great to eat any time of the day. Kids will also love them.
This recipe takes about 35 minutes to make. Makes 4 huge rolls.
• 1 tbsp yeast
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 1 cup of bread flour
• 1 cup of unbleached all-purpose flour
• 1 cup of warm water
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 2 vegan sausages
• 2 cups of vegan pepperoni
• 2 cups vegan shredded vegan cheese
• 1 cup of tomato sauce
• ½ cup of onion, diced
• ¼ cup of fresh basil, torn
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tbsp water
To make the dough, pour water into a bowl.
Stir in sugar and yeast.
Cover and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Add bread flour and mix well.
Stir in salt and olive oil.
Add unbleached all-purpose flour and continue mixing.
Knead the dough until it forms a ball.
Cover and let the dough rise for about 30 minutes.
Roll the dough out until you form a huge flat round pizza dough.
Cut the dough into 4 triangles.
Spoon a line of tomato sauce on the dough leaving an inch border at the bottom and corners of the triangle.
Arrange vegan sausage, onion, basil, and cheese on top of the sauce.
To make the roll, fold in the edges to the center then roll the dough. Make sure the roll is nice and tight.
Repeat the same procedure for the rest of the triangles.
Make 2 rolls with sausage filling and 2 rolls with pepperoni filling.
In a bowl, stir together the remaining sauce, water, and olive oil.
Brush this on top of the pizza rolls.
Place the pizza rolled on greased trays and bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
Cut pizza rolls and serve.
Ideas And Tips:
• Pizza rolls are a great make-ahead meal. You may bake the rolls then put them in zip lock bags or airtight containers and store in the freezer. When you need a quick meal, just take them out from the freezer and heat them in a microwave or oven. You do not even need to thaw them before heating.
• You may choose whatever filling you want for your vegan pizza rolls. Here are some choices: tofu, mushrooms, bell peppers, olives, pineapples, or corn.
images – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5D91SgfafY