Red cabbage is also known as the purple cabbage. Once cooked, it loses its color so it needs to have vinegar to retain its beautiful color. This type of cabbage is usually consumed raw for salads and coleslaw. It is a popular side dish for meaty meals like roast meat.
This recipe shows a very simple way to transform red cabbage into a hearty sweet and savory 100% vegan side dish.
• 2 tbsp of butter
• 1 small red cabbage, cut into thin strips
• 1/3 cup of water
• 1/4 cup of red wine
• 2 tbsp of red wine vinegar
• 2 tbsp of white sugar
• Pinch of caraway seeds
This recipe takes about 15 to 20 minutes to make. Serves 4 to 6.
Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat.
A0dd red cabbage.
Pour water, red wine vinegar, red wine, and sprinkle some sugar.
Keep stirring until cabbage is tender and the liquid has dissolved.
Season with salt and pepper.
If the cabbage is still not tender, add more water and keep stirring.
Once tender, sprinkle caraway seeds.
Ideas And Tips:
• There are so many ways to cook this side dish. You can add bacon or pancetta to the butter before adding the cabbage.
• You can top off the cabbage with raisins, nuts, and herbs like basil and parsley.
• Always taste your dish and adjust your seasonings. Aside from sugar, you can also use maple syrup, honey or agave to sweeten the dish.
images – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTK9I5_E7Tg