Tofu is not only a healthy meat substitute but, also a great egg replacement. Tofu may be used to replace eggs in cooking and baking for reasons such as allergy and dietary preference. It is like eggs in that it is also rich in protein. It is relatively flavorless so you can easily season it to your preference. Although tofu does not fluff up like eggs, it can create that same eggy texture in dishes. With this recipe, vegans and those with egg allergy can enjoy a tasty tofu scramble for breakfast. What makes this tofu scramble even more delicious and nutritious is the nutritional yeast. So the next time you visit the grocery store, pick a block of tofu and make yourself a tofu scramble for breakfast.
• 1 tsp coconut oil
• 1 shallot, minced
• 1 block of firm tofu (14 ounces), crumbled
• 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
• ½ tsp turmeric
• ½ tsp paprika
• ¼ tsp salt
• ¼ cup of non-dairy milk
• 1 cup of chopped kale
• 1 cup of diced cherry tomatoes
• ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
This recipe takes about 20 minutes to make. Serves 2 to 4.
Heat coconut oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
Add shallots and sauté for 1 minute.
Add crumbled tofu and continue sautéing for 3 minutes.
Add nutritional yeast, turmeric, paprika, and salt.
Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes.
Pour in milk and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
Add kale, cherry tomatoes, and black pepper.
Stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
Turn off heat.
Transfer the tofu scramble to a serving plate.
Ideas And Tips:
• You may also add chopped mushrooms and zucchini. Cook them together with the chopped shallots.
• Non-dairy milk options include almond milk, soy milk, hemp milk or rice milk.
• Nutritional yeast is a healthy condiment you should have in the pantry. It is yellow in color and comes in flakes, granules or powder form. It has a nutty, cheesy flavor and a great source of protein and B-complex vitamins. It also contains folate, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, selenium, and zinc. It is low in sodium and fat, gluten-free, and typically does not contain any preservatives.
images – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqwSiXjGNx8