Indian cuisine features a variety of fish dishes. Along the southwest coastline, a popular fish preparation is to marinate the fish in a blend of spices, locally called masala, then coat it with gram flour and fried to a crispy brown skin. This fish fry recipe uses mackerel. The fish is butterflied and masala is not only rubbed on both sides of the fish but also on the inside. This gives the fish more flavor and spice. Although this dish is perfect to eat on its own, it can also be served with rice, chapatti bread or vegetables on the side.
This recipe takes about 10 minutes to make. Serves 3 to 4.
• ¼ tsp peppercorn
• ¼ tsp cumin seeds
• ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
• 1 tsp sugar
• 1-inch cinnamon stick
• 5 cloves
• ¼ tsp brown or black mustard seeds
• 6 tbsp red chili powder
• ¼ tsp turmeric powder
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
• 1/4 cup white vinegar
• 5 mackerel, butterflied and heads removed
• turmeric powder
• besan or gram flour
• oil for frying
• lime wedges
• torn coriander leaves
Cut slits on both sides of the fish.
Sprinkle salt and turmeric powder on both sides of the fish. Set this aside to let the fish marinate.
To make the spice paste, pulse all the ingredients in a food processor or blender until the mixture turns into a smooth paste.
Rub spice paste on both sides as well as the inner part of the fish.
Using a strainer, sprinkle gram flour on bother sides of the fish.
Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
Fry the fish for about 2 minutes.
Carefully flip the fish and cook the other side for another 2 minutes.
Transfer the fish to a plate or serving dish and garnish with lemon wedges and coriander leaves.
Ideas And Tips:
• You can use plain flour or cornstarch if you can’t find gram flour.
• Using too much vinegar in your masala may mask the flavors of the others spices. You may reduce the amount of vinegar and use water to still get the same pasty consistency.
• If you don’t want the masala too spicy, reduce the amount of chili powder.
• You may also use steak cut or filleted fish.
images – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFvg75x7n3U