Mashed potatoes are too often considered a boring side dish but they are nutritious, full of flavor and can compliment any meal. Mashed potatoes are also very easy to make. They are even sold in grocery stores in powdered form, then you simply add liquid to make the creamy side dish. But these can have loads of preservatives and additives. Some mashed potatoes also contain too much butter or dairy. You don’t actually need to use dairy because potatoes are already creamy when mashed. In this recipe, carrots and onions are boiled together with the potatoes, then mashed. Instead of dairy, the boiling liquid is used to add creaminess. Healthy extra virgin olive oil is also used to replace butter. These mashed potatoes are packed with garlic and onion flavors and are healthy, delicious and 100% vegan.
• 10-12 medium potatoes
• 2 medium Spanish onions
• 3 medium carrots
• 4 cups of water
• 1 ½ tsp sea salt
• 2 tsp garlic powder
• 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• ½ tsp crushed black pepper
• ½ cup of reserved broth from boiled veggies
This recipe takes about 30 to 40 minutes to make. Serves 4.
Wash the potatoes and carrots thoroughly.
Peel the onions and potatoes then cut them into quarters.
Cut the carrots into smaller pieces.
Pour water into a large pot, then boil it over medium heat.
Add potatoes, onions, carrots, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
Stir well, then boil for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
Reserve 1/2 cup of the broth, then drain the vegetables.
Put the boiled vegetables back into the pan.
Mash the vegetables using a potato masher.
Gradually pour in broth while mashing.
Add the remaining salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and extra virgin olive oil.
Keep mashing using the potato masher.
Now using an immersion blender, blend the ingredients until smooth.
Transfer to a bowl and serve.
Ideas And Tips:
• Aside from onions, you can use celery sticks or scallions.
• You can use the boiling liquid as a vegetable broth.
• If you want a creamier and milkier texture, you can use non-dairy milk instead of the broth.
• Do not over-mix using the immersion blender; it will give the mashed potato a gummy texture.
• You can put the mashed potato in an air-tight container and it can store in the fridge for 3 to 5 days.
• If you want to make gravy, simply thicken the stock with flour. Use 2 tbsp flour for every cup of stock. You may also need to adjust the seasoning according to preferred taste.
• You can use fresh garlic instead of garlic powder. Boil some garlic cloves with the rest of the vegetables.
images – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-f7Sxe1_6Y