Potato salad is typically served as a side dish. It is made from boiled potatoes and a variety of other ingredients. It is believed to have originated in Germany, where potato salad is generally served warm. It was then brought to America in the 19th century. From then, different recipes of potato salad emerged. Experts recommend red-skinned potatoes for the high moisture content, giving the salad a creamier texture. These days, any type of potatoes are used and made flavorful with just the right amount of dressing. The key is not to overcook the potatoes, which would lead to a mushy potato salad.
This recipe gives you a very basic potato salad which you can tweak by adding any of your favorite ingredients. This salad can be served warm, cold or at room temperature.
• 4 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and diced
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 tbsp white vinegar
• 5 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
• ¼ cup of chopped onion
• ½ tsp dried powdered mustard
• 1 tbsp mustard
• 1 cup of mayonnaise
• 2 tbsp sweet pickle relish
• 1 tsp dried parsley
• ⅛ tsp pepper
• ⅛ tsp cayenne powder
This recipe takes about 20 minutes to make. Serves 4 to 6.
Put potatoes in a pot and pour in enough water to submerge the potatoes.
Cook over medium heat for 8 minutes.
Turn off heat and strain liquid.
Pour vinegar over potatoes and set aside to cool.
In a large mixing bowl, put parsley, pickle relish, mayonnaise, mustard, chopped onions, mustard powder, and eggs.
Mix everything together until all the ingredients are well blended.
Add potatoes and mix.
Sprinkle pepper and cayenne powder.
Mix well and serve with a sprinkling of paprika on top.
Ideas And Tips:
• You may use yogurt or sour cream as a substitute for mayonnaise.
• If you want protein in your potato salad, you can add diced deli meats, tuna or chicken chunks.
• You can add more vegetables like chopped peppers or pimiento, celery, carrots or chives. You may also serve your potato salad on a bed of lettuce leaves.
• Pineapple chunks, diced apples, diced red beets, and raisins can also be added to the salad.
• You can also top the salad with shredded cheese and bacon bits.
images – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkbVtMUshtk