Crispy fried fish is a popular dish in Thai restaurants. Thailand is abundant in fresh fish and seafood. What makes fried fish so delicious is the sauce. Thai cuisine is famous for its sweet, sour, and spicy flavors.
In this recipe, an entire fish is coated with flour and fried until golden brown and crispy. The sauce is made from garlic, red chilis, sugar, tamarind, and Thai fish sauce. This dish is a perfect match for steamed rice. The fish is crispy but the flesh is juicy and tender.
• 1 whole fresh Barramundi fish
• All-purpose flour
• Cooking oil
• 2 to 3 tbsp of minced garlic
• 2 tbsp of chopped red chilis
• 1 tbsp of sugar
• 1 tbsp of tamarind
• Thai fish sauce
This recipe takes 15 minutes to make. Serves 1 to 2.
Cut slits on both sides of the fish.
Coat the fish with all-purpose flour including the slits.
Fry the fish in hot oil. Make sure that the fish is completely submerged in oil.
Cook over medium heat.
While the fish is cooking, prepare the sauce.
In a separate pan, drizzle oil and place over low heat.
Cook garlic until slightly brown.
Place red chilis, sugar, tamarind, and fish sauce in the pan.
Whisk together until sugar is dissolved.
Place the fish on paper towels to drain excess oil.
Transfer the fish to a plate.
Pour the sauce over the fish and serve.
Ideas And Tips:
• Any type of fish can be used with this recipe. If you don’t want to use a whole fish, you can also opt to use fish fillets. Coat the fillets entirely in flour before frying.
• Aside from all-purpose flour, you can substitute with potato starch or cornstarch.
images – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO17X2VKQWg